Hair Products for Men: Everything You Need to Know
Although we may show a tough external façade to the world, most guys actually do enjoy looking their best. To achieve this goal, though, you’ll need to invest in a few hair products for men. Even dudes that rock the unkempt and tousled look work hard to pull it off, and you can pretty much bet that they’re using more products than most guys.
Unfortunately, a longstanding social stigma has resulted in many of us not knowing much about men’s hair products. Which is sort of ridiculous considering guys have always used them. Do the words “I’m a Dapper Dan Man” ring a bell? The pomade featured in O Brother, Where Art Thou? was a legit product that our badass grandfathers used.
So, let’s go ahead and leave behind the ‘hush hush’ aspect of hair products for men. We all use them, so here’s everything you might need to know.
Do Men Need Hair Care Products?
Many guys live by a mantra of simply not smelling like trash. With that mentality, it makes sense for a bathroom to only be occupied by shampoo and body wash. While these two products can help you get by, they’re literally the bare minimum you can do. And when you’re out looking for a soulmate – or just someone to have fun with – do you really want someone who settles for the bare minimum?
The fact is that hair care products for men are absolutely essential. Shampoo strips our hair of its natural oils, so we need a good conditioner to ensure our mane doesn’t dry out. Our hair also isn’t going to stay in place on its own throughout the day, so at least one styling aid is necessary to look presentable. These realities are true even without considering the unique needs of some guys’ locks.
The simple fact is that the bare minimum is never enough when it comes to our hair. If you think the ladies are turned off now simply over your dry mane, imagine what they’ll think when your scalp starts thinning out due to a lack of care. Every bachelor pad needs at least two hair products for men outside of just shampoo, and you could probably benefit from a change in that department as well.
If you’re reading this because you’ve already caused serious damage to your hair through unintentional neglect, check out the Clinical Grooming Services provided by the BSG professionals.
What Hair Products Does a Man Need?
It would be great if there were some master list of hair products for men that every guy could use. Then again, it would also be great if 80 percent of the Tinder chicks I match with didn’t ghost out after two messages. Unfortunately, a specific master list doesn’t exist because no two guys share the exact same hair needs. We really are beautiful and unique snowflakes in this respect.
Even without telling you the exact brands to purchase, we can give you a general blueprint of what’s available. Keep in mind that all these hair products for men come in countless varieties, and you can make your decision based on your specific needs. You also don’t have to buy all of them. Read on and save some cash.
Shampoo and Conditioner
It’s a little terrifying that it’s necessary to point out that everyone should use shampoo. Seriously, there’s a ‘No Poo’ movement (poo… movement… heh) where people choose to forego the use of this essential hair product. Don’t be that guy. What you should do, though, is recognize that you might need to change up shampoos.
The cheap bottles you grab off the shelf without a second thought might not be best for you. A great shampoo choice will cater to your hair’s needs. All those words on the label? You know, Moisturizing, Volumizing, Fortifying and other adjectives? They actually mean something, so grab the product that will improve your mane.
This holds true for conditioners as well, and as we mentioned earlier, conditioning your hair is essential after shampooing. What you really need to avoid is 2-in-1 or even 3-in-1 combos. These products serve different purposes, and combining them isn’t healthy for your hair.
When it comes down to the hair products for men you need, life really is simple. Shampoo, conditioner and a styling aid typically provide everything you need and more. If you thought choosing shampoos was difficult, though, wait until you see all the options for styling products.
Here’s a list of the most common along with tips on whether they’re right for you:
- Hair gel: Maximum hold and high shine is provided by hair gel, but it can also damage your mane.
- Pomade: A good pomade product provides medium to high hold and allows for reshaping throughout the day.
- Wax: Hair wax is highly versatile but best for straight to wavy hair. Allows for restyling and has a lighter hold than pomade.
- Hair putty: Textured and tousled looks are achieved well with hair putty. Provides a strong hold but can still be reshaped.
- Texture liniment: Experts formulated a texturizing cream known as texture liniment. Provides medium hold and makes hair look fuller.
- Clay: If your hair style needs volume, clay will provide it with a strong hold and low shine. It’s stickier than pomade.
- Cream: If you’re going for the bed hair look, creams are your friend. They have little hold to speak of, but they will tame rogue strands of hair.
- Paste: Just about any hairstyle can be achieved with paste. You can also add volume by blow drying after application.
- Hairspray: This shouldn’t be your go-to styling aid. Only use it to lock in the style your other products provided.
Unless you use hairspray to cement your hairdo in place, you really only need one styling aid. You’ll find that one works better than all the others when it comes to your unique hair type and style. All of these are the best hair products for men to someone. It just comes down to finding the one right for you.
Hair Products for Thinning Hair
Guys with thinning hair face a unique problem when choosing hair products for men. They need something that provides general benefits but can also help with progressive thinning. Fortunately, there are many reversible signs of hair loss. You simply need the right products. Consider the following options a good investment if you’re thinning out up top.
- HCO1 Shampoo: Featuring ketoconazole and several other healthy hair ingredients, BSG’s HCO1 Edition Shampoo can help with a fuller looking head of hair.
- Minoxidil: This is one of the most widely used shampoos for hair loss, but it doesn’t treat receding hairlines or thinning at the front of the scalp.
- Texture liniment: BSG’s HCO1 Texture Liniment was created to keep your style in place while promoting hair health.
- HCO1 Conditioner: In addition to moisturizing your hair, HCO1 Edition Conditioner contains ketoconazole and other ingredients that promote a healthy mane.
- Hair serum: Not all hair serums are geared towards hair restoration. The HCO1 Edition Hair Serum, though, features a high concentration of the Trichoanagenic Factor hair health formula.
Unfortunately, your hair loss may get to a point when even the best hair products for men won’t help. If this is the case, ARTAS Hair Restoration can give you back a full head of hair. Then you can come back here and read how to care for it all over again!
What to Avoid in Hair Products for Men
Less than a century ago, people couldn’t have cared less what was in the products they bought. Seriously, who trusts a snake oil salesman who rolls into town for a one-day sale? As people got smarter, though, we began demanding more information. As it turns out, we didn’t always like what we found out.
Hair products for men are all unique, but there are some ingredients that are now or were once common among most of them. Even the difficult-to-pronounce substances are typically benign, but you should always do your best to avoid products with the following ingredients:
- Sulfates: Can dry out your hair and contaminate natural water sources.
- Parabens/Phthalates: Known to decrease male fertility.
- Mineral oils: More damaging to the environment than your hair.
- SLS/SLES: They make shampoos produce foam, but they’ll also dry out skin and hair.
Hair products for men that contain these ingredients will do more harm than good. Seriously, if you’ve read this far to learn how to properly care for your hair, why risk any damage when you can just look at the ingredient label?
Hair Products for Men with Curly Hair
Choosing products based on your desired hair style and scalp’s oil production is something we all must do. Guys with curly hair, though, have a few additional concerns. This means they could benefit from certain men’s hair products that the rest of us may not need. Here are a few examples:
- Leave-in conditioner: Helps keep your locks from tangling during the day.
- Curl definer: If you’re really proud of your curls, definer will make them pop.
- Styling oil: Provides a nice shine without weighing your curls down.
- Salt sprays: Adds texture to curls to prevent them from falling flat.
If you’ve got curls, be proud of them. After all, the ladies seem to think Dustin from Stranger Things is downright adorable. Catch that wave while you’ve got the chance.
Hair Products for Men with Long Hair
Long hair also presents its own unique set of challenges for men. To start with, you really need to know how to pull off long hair as a guy. If you’re sure you’ve got that in you, it all comes down to utilizing the right products.
- Dry shampoo: Adds texture and regulates oil production.
- Hair powder: Also adds texture along with lightweight volume. Great for guys with super oily hair.
- Finishing mist: Increases hair strength and provides shine without excessive oil.
- Leave-in conditioner: Helps to maintain a natural shine throughout the day.
Long hair isn’t for every guy, but those who make it rock seriously have something special. Ladies will love rubbing their fingers through a long mane, and that makes all the from-behind accidental cat calls from dudes well worth it.
Hair Products for Men with Fine Hair
Many guys with fine and straight hair have simply accepted that their hair will forever be blah. The flatness that comes along with this hair type can make styling a difficult endeavor. Any of the general products that feature the word ‘thickening’ or ‘volumizing’ will simplify this job, but you might also consider the following hair care options:
- Dry shampoo: Adds grip, bulk and texture to fine hair. Can be applied throughout the day.
- Heat-protecting spray: If you frequently use a blow dryer to create volume, this product is essential.
- Mousse: You can add both volume and control by utilizing mousse. It can also be combined with other styling aids.
- Apple cider vinegar: Hear me out. The buildup of hair products can weigh down your hair, and this is really bad for fine hair. Rinse with apple cider vinegar once every two weeks to break down residue.
Outside of your mane starting to fall out, fine locks are likely the most challenging hair to work with. It’ll take a little extra effort on your part, but we won’t tell the other guys if you don’t.
Are Natural Men’s Hair Products Better?
More and more people are making the switch to organic and all-natural products, and as usual, the hipsters got there before the rest of the population. This invariably leads to the question, though, of whether natural hair products for men are better than others. Like most issues discussed throughout this guide, the answer comes down to a resounding ‘it depends.’
Certain products are most effective with synthetic ingredients. Hair gel, for instance, has chemicals specifically meant to make your hair rock hard almost instantaneously. Natural ingredients aren’t typically able to do this. When it comes to most hair products, though, organic and natural options are great. They cleanse and style your mane without stripping it of essential nutrients.
Saw palmetto, coconut oil, olive leaf extract and white oak bark are some of the best natural ingredients you can find in hair products for men. As long as your hair care arsenal avoids unhealthy chemicals, though, you’re a step ahead of the curve.
Look Great with Hair Products for Men
When it comes to hair care, the ladies no doubt have us beat in their range of options. Fortunately, the hair products for men that are out there pretty much cover all our needs. Find the ones that work for you and forget about the declining social stigma related to hair care. After all, you don’t have to tell your hot date you spent time perfecting your mane – especially since she’ll be messing it up later anyway!
At Barber Surgeons Guild, our goal is to make your hair look its absolute best. Visit us today to learn the many ways we can make this a reality.